Thursday, July 2, 2009

Snacks I Didn't Like Until Recently










When I was in Kindergarten, we played a counting game where Miss FIelding basically gave us each a bowl of olives and we had to count as many as we could. And she was like, "You can eat every single one you count!" and all of the kids cheered. And I did not get it because I thought olives were gross. And I told that very agressively to Miss Fielding and she changed my behaviour card from a green light to a yellow light.

But now I love olives! Maybe because I only know how to cook when olive oil is involved? Butter burns too easily. I only know how to bake with butter. I really like cooking, but I go about it in a totes lazy fashion.

I went through a phase where I wanted to name my children after things you could put in dishes, like Olive, and Rosemary, and Basil. They would be perfect names were I to take part in a whimsical cute fake British family.

And pickles. I mean, pickles are pickles. I hated pickles, but I loved the way they sounded equal parts juicy and crunchy when someone would bite into one at lunch in high school. And I liked the way they smelled, all briney. But I hated their taste, until quite recently!

I have developed a taste for Gherkins. Gherkin is also the name of a building in London. I wonder why.

No comments: