Thursday, August 27, 2009

Busyness Snack


I am flitting around breathlessly!

On a half-hour break from my one-week stint as a postcard distributor, I called my dear friend Chuck The One From Nebraska and we began organizing a last minute road trip to Arizona to visit our dear friend Amy, with a pitstop in Las Vegas to help my father with a giant athletic expo he's involved in. It seemed so impetuous that my revisionist memory of it has us screaming frantically at each other into the phone: "I'VE NEVER BEEN WEST OF COLORADO." "OF COURSE I'LL MAKE PLAYLISTS FOR THE CAR." "YES YES MY DAD WANTS US BOTH IN VEGAS BY THE 22ND THERE WILL BE SPORTS PEOPLE THERE!!!" "OKAY I'LL TALK TO YOU SOON OKAY BYE."

And then a day later, I'm cast in a show the same week as the expo and a wrench is thrown into the whole of my haphazard planning. Not really a wrench, as I fully intend to go back to Phoenix after the show is over. But no more Vegas, and probably no more road trip. It's also not really a wrench because thrown wrenches usually hold negative connotations, and I am really, really excited about this show.

And then a day later, I'm in the middle of suburban Queens holding iced tea and a pizza, rehearsing for my one-woman show in-development entitled "Carol Channing Sings Sublime's Greatest Hits and Maybe Some Songs from Les Mis" and playing the Wii and nestling Says Scoville and finally realizing after ten years that THE BUTTHOLE SURFERS sing that song about the water flowing like an avalanche, coming down the mountain!!! And falling asleep on Stevo's mom's bed.

And then a day later, quitting my job as a postcard distributor by calling 3 minutes before I'm supposed to be there. And seeing 2 of 201 shows in the New York Fringe Festival. The first one caused even Drew Vanderberg to call Scoville weird. The second had a dead thing in it. I was tickled and thrilled and prouded by both!

And then a day later, eating amuse-bouche and soft cheese and wine with an old friend/ a bookend, and making my own bruschetta. And then a day later, happy hoursing and chatting wildly. And then a day later, it's now. And I will send my script out tonight for Fresh Ground Pepper. And I will remember that if Stefan wasn't gay, he'd be Dawn's boyfriend. And I will continue to <3 symbols and collecting things from the street. And I will continue to remember why I'm here. And I will continue to hand draw birthday cards for my friends. And I will send care packages to my Amy (no candles this time), and dear AJ newly Scotlanded and my Boopsie newly colleged. And I will continue to filch fortune cookies from work that say things like

"Someone will invite you to a karaoke party."

"Your happy heart brings joy and peace where there is none."

"Your individuality provides a light to others."

"On the right track, means need to run even faster, or got run over."

No comments: