Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Format Snack



One of my favorite bands from high school, The Format, broke up a year ago. It was a two-man band from my hometown, and I've seen them play everywhere from the now-defunct Nita's Hideaway (which I passed on the road the other day, it's like rubble) to the tiny closet space known as Modified to bigger, New Yorky venues like Irving Plaza and Webster Hall. I stumbled upon a link to this guy's blog, this guy who was The Format's manager, and it was interesting to see how the dynamic of the band shifted, their struggle to make it in any sense, what the two of them are up to now.

I still listen to their songs. I think they captured an essence of my Southwestern coming-of-age that I needed to carry with me on my trip cross-country when I was 18. They may be on to bigger or more meaningful things, but those songs will always be Phoenix to me.

The video below is from one of their Flagstaff shows in early 2004.



fotografia from freshpeel.com

No comments: